Here at Vendor Advocacy Australia, we are often asked about the best ways to maximize the impact of a home seller’s garden. What many people don’t realise is that even the smallest of gardens, such as a courtyard in a unit or ground level apartment, can still make a real difference to potential buyers when they are inspecting your property.
The good news for anyone who is keen to dress up a courtyard, whether this is part of preparing your property for sale or you simply want to improve the aesthetic appeal of the view through your sliding doors, is that there are a lot of different ways to approach this task.
Here are a few tips for simple but effective results:
If the walls of your courtyard are letting you down, one simple solution is to install a natural reed screen or feature timber panel. This can be much more affordable than repairing old brick or concrete work, and can be placed straight over the surface.
- Before you go to the expense of buying new outdoor furniture, think about whether a change of colour and the addition of new cushions will achieve the desired result.
- If aging concrete paving is a problem, one cost-effective alternative to repaving is often an ‘instant deck’ of interlocking timber.
- Try viewing your courtyard as an “extra room”. You might find that selecting a feature colour or texture will make a big difference.
- Outdoor kitchens are a popular item nowadays, but only if you have the space.
- Don’t overlook the impact that some well-placed lights can have. These are particularly important if your agent is going to hold twilight inspections.
- Strategically placed potted plants can make an impact, but even more so when you use pots that all have a theme in their shape or colour. All you need to do is vary the sizes.
- Last but not least, don’t forget that a water feature, even a small one, can add a relaxing atmosphere.
If in doubt, why not call into your nearest Garden Centre to get some advice and helpful hints from an expert. Of course, if you need any expert advice regarding your sale, a good place to start is our free booklet, “Fatal Real Estate Traps Exposed”. So why not download a copy while you’re here on our website?