As you have probably noticed recently, the autumn leaves are falling in growing numbers right now and the wetter months are not far away. This means that many home owners across Victoria will be turning their attention towards roof maintenance with thoughts of cleaning gutters, checking for broken tiles and generally making sure that all is in order before the winter winds arrive.
It is important to remember that each year a concerning number of Australians are badly injured or worse whilst climbing ladders or working on a roof. So, with the aim of keeping all our friends and clients safe, we thought this would be a good time to share a few tips on attending to all those roof maintenance tasks safely.
Roof maintenance safety tips
- Don’t tackle a rooftop job by yourself. It is important to have someone helping you who can assist you with the tools you may need, can hold ladder and, in the worst-case scenario, can call for assistance if needed!
- If your roof has a steep pitch, you would be well advised to hire a professional who has experience on their side.
- Use a sound and sturdy ladder, and make sure it is set up on level, stable ground.
- Wear non-slip shoes with soles that won’t damage your roof, particularly if you have tiles that are easily cracked.
- Choose your day wisely. If it’s raining or windy, you’ll be much safer attending to other tasks at ground level.
- If you do have a brittle roof, (a common issue with older terra cotta tiles for example), extreme care is needed to avoid further damage.
- Above all, always err on the side of caution. If you are uncomfortable with heights, don’t feel safe or are simply unsure of what you are doing, climb down and hire someone who does this for a living.
Of course, if you’re not sure what roof maintenance tasks need to be tackled, always seek professional advice. But if you’d like some more specific tips on how to present your home for sale, either now or later in the year, our Vendor Advocates are always happy to help. You’ll also find lots of helpful tips in our booklet, “Fatal Real Estate Traps Exposed”, so why not get your FREE copy while you’re here on the website.