Not surprisingly, Summer is the time of year that many Victorians tend to focus on outdoor living in its many forms. One of the most popular forms of outdoor living involves the swimming pool so, with the recent burst of warmer weather, quite a few homeowners will have given some thought to adding a pool to the back yard.
It’s easy to imagine the benefits of a pool when entertaining family and friends through the warmer months, but there are a number of factors you need to consider before you start visiting the pool companies.
- Maintenance. Yes, having a pool can add a lot to your leisure time at home, but it can also add quite a few jobs to the ‘To Do List’ each week as well. Make sure that each member of the family knows what is expected before you make the decision to install a pool.
- Costs. Not only is a pool expensive to install, but pool maintenance also involves several thousand dollars every year in chemicals, heating and upkeep on top of the time commitment we mentioned above.
- Safety. As you may have read recently, the laws on pool safety in Victoria were upgraded recently including the requirement for regular checks by accredited inspectors of your fencing and landscaping.
- Usage. Whilst the concept of pool ownership has broad appeal, you need to consider who will actually use the pool. For example, if you are thinking of installing a pool specifically for your children, ask yourself how long it will be before they start spending more time away from home, or even moving out?
- Resale value. Many people make the mistake of assuming that they will recover the overall cost of a pool through an increase in their property value, but this is rarely the case. Indeed, in some market segments a pool can be viewed as an obstacle for some buyers. So if you feel you may want to make a move in the foreseeable future, perhaps a pool is not a wise investment.
Advice is close at hand. If you are considering installing a pool, it’s a great idea to give one of the team at Ian Reid Buyer and Vendor Advocates a call to discuss your options. Why not give us a call on 9430 0000 before you head off to the pool company?
You’ll also find lots of helpful tips on selling your property in our free booklet, “Fatal Real Estate Traps Exposed”, so feel free to download a copy while you’re here.