Given the important role that property presentation and styling play in many home sales, it’s not surprising that many of us at Ian Reid Buyer and Vendor Advocates like to look into the future from time to time to see what trends may be emerging in the interior design world.
One of the ways we can do that is to cast our eye over the coverage of Milan Design Week, an annual event that brings together many of the leading lights from Europe’s design houses to showcase their latest offerings.
This year’s event, which was held in June after two years of postponements and cancellations, attracted close to a quarter of a million visitors. Here’s a brief run-down of some the trends you may be seeing on the local front in the near future.
- Carpets and rugs are getting brighter, (and shaggier).
- Stone finishes are still popular, but some of the colours being used are becoming more adventurous.
- Watch out for table and chair legs that make a statement on their own, rather than simply supporting the main attraction.
- Japanese influences are big, both on their own and when combined with classic Scandi influences in what is known as “Japandi”.
- Mirrors are more than something to see yourself in. Sculptural mirror finishes are increasingly popping up in elements like light fittings.
- Green is still ‘a thing’. We’ve commented on the increasing use of green tonings in past articles, but it’s still making an impact, particularly in more subtle shadings.
- Retro inspired décor is being driven by the 70’s at the moment, so don’t throw out your disco gear!
Of course, it’s important to remember to differentiate between the decorating ideas that you choose to enhance your own living environment, and those that you select if you are preparing your property for sale.
So if you are considering a sale in 2022, now is an ideal time to have a chat with one of the team at Ian Reid Buyer and Vendor Advocates about your options before you get too involved in serious redecorating. Some vendors have found that their property is ideally suited to the property market in its current condition without spending the time and money on redecoration.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call this week on 9430 0000, and you’ll also find lots of helpful tips on selling your property in our booklet, “Fatal Real Estate Traps Exposed”, which you can download for free while you’re here.